Even though we are in the dead of winter, it's not too early to think of Spring cleaning! Here are few tips for organizing (and keeping it organized!) your closet:
- Don’t expect to get everything organized all at once—take organizing one step at a time.
Remember that it always get worse before it gets better!!
- For every new piece of clothing you buy, get rid of one from your closet.
- Take advantage of vertical space by hanging two clothing bars, one on top of another, for shirts and shorter items, like pants folded in half.
- Store sweaters and other seasonal iteams (folded nicely of course!) in clear tubs on the top shelf, which is generally out of reach.
- Invest in wooden hangers, preferably all the same size. They will help clothes keep their shape.
- If your closet has a swinging door rather than an sliding door, take advantage and use the back of the door to hang a plastic shoe rack or tie and belt rack.
- You don’t necessarily have to color code your closet, but it is helpful to keep like items together, i.e. pants with other pants, dresses with dresses, long-sleeved shirts, etc.
- Take a regular wooden shirt hanger and add some clothespins…voila! Instant tie and/or belt hanger that hangs right with the rest of the clothes.